Decision Tech comparison service privacy notice
In this article:
- About us
- The information we collect and how we collect it
- How we use your information
- Who we share your information with
- Where we transfer your information
- How we keep your information safe
- How to change your preferences
- How to get your information corrected or request we stop using it
- How to find out what information of yours we hold
- Changes to this privacy notice
- How to contact us or make a complaint
This comparison service (the "service") is provided by Decision Technologies Limited ("we", "us", "our", or "Decision Tech").
This privacy notice explains how we collect; use; share; transfer; store; and protect your personal information when you use this comparison service. It also explains how to contact us to find out what personal information of yours we hold; what we use it for; how you can correct any inaccuracies; and how you can request that we stop using it.
Please read this privacy notice carefully since once you use this service you will be regarded as having read and accepted its terms.
Below is a summary of some of the main terms of this privacy notice:
- Use of this service is strictly subject to this privacy notice. If you do not agree to its terms you must not use the service
- We may collect different types of personal information about you when you use this service including your postcode and your computer's IP address
- We will also collect information about how you use this service
- The section How we use your information details all the ways we use your personal information, which includes:
- To identify the broadband suppliers in your area
- To improve our services and to conduct research
- We will share your information as required by law
- Some of your personal information will be stored outside Europe
- You can ask us any questions about your personal information at any time by emailing email@example.com
Our registered address is:
Decision Technologies Limited
High Holborn House
52-54 High Holborn
London WC1V 6RL
Our company number is 05341159
We take your privacy and the security of your personal information very seriously. We comply with the data protection laws and we are registered with the Information Commissioner's Office (Registration No. Z932912X).
If after reading this privacy notice you still have any questions about how we use your personal information, please email our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to our Data Protection Officer at our registered address, above
The information we collect and how we collect it
When you use this service we may collect personal information about you. The type of personal information we collect will vary depending on the services you are using.
The legal basis under which we collect and use your personal information is that it is necessary for our legitimate business interests.
You have a right to object to this processing and the section How to get your information corrected or request we stop using it explains how you can do this.
We may collect:
- your postcode if you perform an availability check for broadband suppliers in your area;
- computer's IP (internet protocol) address when you visit the service or click on a link to go to a supplier's website;
Where we collect your personal information to provide this service, we act as a data controller.
The next section explains how we use your personal information.
How we use your information
- To provide a broadband, home phone and digital TV availability check - If you carry out an availability check on this service, we will use your postcode to carry out that check. Different suppliers provide their services to different parts of the country and this is determined by postcode. The postcode check is essential to show you the suppliers that are available where you live. We keep this information for a maximum of 3 years.
- To fulfil a reward or special offer - If you place an order for a product that qualifies for a reward or special offer, we will use your personal information so that you can redeem that reward or special offer.We keep this information for a maximum of 12 months.
- To analyse and improve our services - We will use information of your visits to this service and how you use it so that we can devise ways of improving the layout of the service and create new services to make the experience more enjoyable and the easier to use. This information also allows us to understand the demand for our services at different times of the day and to make sure it always performs quickly. We keep this information for a maximum of 3 years.
- To carry out research - We will use information of your visits to this service and your postcode (if you provide it) to perform research to help us better understand the geographic coverage and use of broadband, phone or digital TV services in the UK. We keep this information for a maximum of 3 years.
Who we share your information with
When you use this service you are consenting to us sharing your information for the following purposes:
Broadband, home phone and digital TV availability check
If you use our availability checker to find suppliers in your area, we will share your postcode with the company that helps us to maintain that service.
- The postcode availability tool is a complex system and we use an external software development company to ensure that the system is kept accurate and up-to-date. The company is based in the UK.
- We may also share your postcode with a company called SamKnows. SamKnows provides broadband availability data to price comparison websites and this service can help increase the accuracy of the results we show you. The company is based in the UK.
These companies will not share your information with any other company or use it for any other purpose.
Service analysis and improvement
We use a number of companies to help us monitor the use of this service so we can improve it. We will share the information we collect with these companies only to provide the following services:
- Service monitoring: we use external companies to monitor the performance of this service so that we can ensure we keep it working as fast as possible and that we are alerted if there are any problems with it. These companies are based in the US
- Reports and analysis: we use an analytics service provided by Google to help us collate and analyse all the data that we collect through this service and we use a company called Tableau to help us create internal reports to that we can better review and understand the analysis. Both these companies are based in the US.
Special offers and rewards
Some parts of this service are hosted by Amazon Web Services. Any information that we collect when you visit this service or use our services will be shared with Amazon Web Services.
Amazon Web Services is part of Amazon that provides powerful, scalable and highly secure cloud computing services for businesses. The company is based in the US but your personal information is only processed in the EU. The company will not share your information with any other company or use it for any other purpose.
We link to other companies' websites from this service (for example suppliers of broadband services). We try to only include quality, safe and relevant links but we cannot guarantee or verify the content of any externally linked website. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that they should have their own privacy policies and we have not endorsed or approved those policies. We cannot be held responsible (and do not accept any responsibility or liability) for the uses to which any other company puts your personal information once you have left this service.
Where permitted by law, we may also disclose your personal information:
- to comply with any legal obligation, or to enforce or apply our rights and other agreements; and
- to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our group; our customers, or others.
We may also exchange your personal information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Where we transfer your information:
Some of the personal information we collect may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Union (EU). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EU who work for us or for one of our suppliers.
The only country outside the EU to which we transfer your personal information is the United Sates (US). When your personal information is transferred to the US we take steps to ensure that it is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy notice and appropriate legal and regulatory requirements. Many of the companies we use are certified by the Privacy Shield framework, which ensures an adequate level of protection for your personal information and respect for your rights. If US companies are not part of the Privacy Shield framework, then we engage with them using Model Contract Clauses approved by the European Commission. These contracts ensure those companies provide you with appropriate safeguards and enforceable legal rights.
Additionally, we have written agreements with all the companies based in the US to ensure they cannot process your personal information for any other purposes or share it with any other companies without our express permission.
By submitting your personal information to us, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
How we keep your information safe
Keeping your personal information secure is very important to us. Once we have received your personal information, we will use strict procedures and security measures to protect it. This service is certified secure by McAfee SECURE and we use a secure protocol (https://) to encrypt your information between your computer's browser and this service. We protect our network with the latest firewall technology and we securely store personal information and encrypt it where necessary. We restrict the number of our staff that have access to any personal information and we have secure backup systems to ensure that any personal information cannot be lost or deleted. We train all our staff so that they understand the importance of keeping our customers' personal information safe.
Please bear in mind that no information sent over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information that you send to this service and it is sent at your own risk.
Automated decision making, including profiling
Our service does not make any decisions based on solely automated processing, including profiling that would produce any legal effects of similarly affect you. If we introduce this technology in the future, we will notify you of this and update this privacy notice accordingly.
How to change your preferences
Decision Tech will not send you any emails or marketing communications through your use of this service.
How to get your information corrected or request we stop using it
If you have any concerns about the accuracy of your personal information then you can contact us in writing by post or email (details below) and we will correct it.
If you want us to stop using your personal information then please contact us in writing by post or email (details below) explaining why you object to its use and what you want us to do. We will then respond appropriately to your request.
Please note that if you do not provide us with your personal information or object to us using it then this may prevent us from fulfilling certain requests (for example we cannot provide accurate information on the broadband services where you live without your postcode and we cannot help you with certain enquiries without your contact details).
How to find out what information we hold
You have the right to get a copy of the information we hold about you. This is known as a subject access request.
If you wish to make a subject access request then please contact us in writing by post or email (details below). You must provide your full name, address and a contact telephone number.
If we hold information about you we will:
- give you a description of it;
- tell you the legal basis for us holding it;
- tell you what we are using it for;
- tell you who it could be disclosed to;
- tell you how long we keep it; and
- let you have a printed copy of the information or, if you prefer, provide it to you in a commonly used electronic format.
We will do this free of charge and we will respond to you within one month or your request.
If you identify any inaccuracies in the information we send you then we will correct it.
Changes to this privacy notice
We update our privacy notice from time to time so we suggest you review it each time you provide any personal information. Any changes we may make in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified elsewhere on the service.
How to contact us or make a complaint
If you have any questions or comments about this privacy notice then please write to:
The Data Protection Officer
Decision Technologies Limited
High Holborn House
52-54 High Holborn
London WC1V 6RL
Or email: email@example.com
If you are concerned about the way we may be handling your personal information, then you can raise your concern with a supervisory authority in the EU member state where you reside. In the UK this is the Information Commissioner's Office.
This privacy notice was last updated: [14 May 2018]
Processing your personal information for our legitimate interests
Companies that act as a data controller of your personal information must have a clear lawful (legal) basis under which they can collect and use (process) it.
When you use this service, the legal basis under which we collect and use your personal information is that it is necessary for ourlegitimate business interests. "Legitimate interests" means the interests of our company in conducting and managing our business to enable us to give you the best service and the best and most relevant experience.
When we process your personal information for our legitimate interests, we have to consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative), and your rights under data protection laws. Our legitimate business interests cannot override your interests - we will not use your personal information for activities where our interests are overridden by any potential impact to you.
The section below details the personal information we process for our legitimate interests and how we use that information.
How we use your information for our legitimate interests
Here's how we may use your information:
To provide a broadband, home phone and digital TV availability check
If you carry out an availability check on our website, we will use your postcode to carry out that check. Different suppliers provide their services to different parts of the country and this is determined by postcode. The postcode check is essential to show you the suppliers that are available where you live.
To analyse and improve our services
We may use your personal information to help us understand how people are using our website and services so that we may improve them. We need to ensure that our websites and services work as efficiently as possible. User analysis and visitor data enables us to ensure our services run at optimum performance and perform correctly
To carry out research
We may use your personal information to perform research and to help us better understand the geographic coverage and use of broadband, phone or digital TV services in the UK. Research enables us to develop new products and services for the benefit of our users and for the benefit of our group to ensure that it can operate effectively in a competitive market.